Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Good Friends

When I married Ben, one of the things I inherited were a group of great Navy (and civilian) friends he had made in Italy.  I didn't realize what a gift this was until we got to Norfolk VA and I was able to live near a bunch of them as well.  We all just happened to be stationed in the same area together for about 2 years.  It was so fun to be around them at that time of our life as this is where we became parents.  They were our family away from family and helped us SO much as we made it through our first years of parenthood.

Here is a group shot of a bunch of the Italian crew.

The Carpenters were one of these families.  They have two girls about the same age as our boys. Back in Norfolk days none of the kids were in school and we did a ton of playdates, weekend get-to-gethers and kid swapping for date nights.  I dug out these pictures to show you how little the kids were the last time they all hung out together.










It was such a treat that they came all the way out to Hawaii to visit us.  They are on their way to Italy again (lucky dogs) but made it a priority to come visit so the kids to get reconnected.  It has been 3 1/2 years since they saw each other.   But they hit it off famously.  Now I do believe we need to return the favor and go visit them in Italy…don't you agree?????


They were adventurous enough to try Ethiopian food with us at our new favorite restaurant.  There was some serious jet lag in this picture.
 The kids did exactly what we had all hoped..they played and read and laughed.
I love this shot as it shows a mass boogie boarding catch with Ben Go Pro-ing the event.

 These two have always shared a laugh or two or three.
 At Bellows Beach
I must confess I left my camera at home a lot this trip as I wanted to just enjoy our friends so I didn't capture all shaved ice, snoring, beaching, pool time that we did.  

 On Memorial day we went on a family bike ride around Ford Island to visit the historic sites(I think we might have too many bikes as we had enough extras that we only had to borrow one more and all 8 of us could ride).  Here at the Utah.




 I LOVE these trees.
 Climbing
 Water and chalk in the front yard.

 They tattooed themselves with chalk.
 He wasn't mad just posing so I could see all the chalk on him.
 Just because she is TOO cute.
 Their last night here and they caught a rainbow!!
 I love these last two shots.  The way to Mari's heart is through her stomach, you can see Mark and Deanna trying to win her over:).

 One thing we forgot was a group shot of all of us.  Hmmm I guess we will just HAVE to go to Italy after all!!!
THANK CARPENTERS.  

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Love the picture. Only request is if you come all the way to Europe to see the carpenters there needs to be a group road trip to Belgium or someplace in the middle. I offer chocolate and beer as my enticement and I will cook my butt off.

Nancy said...

Love the picture. Only request is if you come all the way to Europe to see the carpenters there needs to be a group road trip to Belgium or someplace in the middle. I offer chocolate and beer as my enticement and I will cook my butt off.

Deanna said...

Thanks so much Leppards for the wonderful adventures! This post feels like a hug from the other side of the planet. HUGS back to you all!!

Deanna